Community Development

Department Responsibilities include:  

  • Plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates the operations and activities of the office of Development Services.
  • Maintains knowledge of the ordinances and codes of the City and the State of Iowa in regard to construction, renovation and alteration of buildings within the city limits.
Building Permit:

The City requires a Building Permit for all new construction, additions, garages, sheds, sidewalks, fences, siding, decks, and more. Click here for more complete list. If your specific project is not listed, please contact City Hall at 319-752-5451 to inquire if a permit is required. 

Business License:

If you are opening a new Business in West Burlington please be sure to apply for your Business License by completing an application and returning it to City Hall. Business Licenses are required for Temporary Vendors and Permanent Businesses.

Rental Housing

If you are the owner of rental property in West Burlington, you are required to register you property within 90 days of purchase/transfer of title, or change of occupancy status.  This ordinance became effective January 1, 2009.   Please be sure to apply for a rental permit to avoid paying a $250 late registration fee.

Code Enforcement

The city currently enforces the following building and construction codes as outlined in the City Code:

  •  2015 International Code Council (ICC)
  •  2015 International Fire Code (IFC)

Staff Contacts

Name Title
Shaun Ryan Fire Chief/Building Inspector